But until then, here's more stupid shit:
Real men don't like going to church because they don't want to "sing love songs to a man", because the "vicar wears a dress", because they feel like "mongrels on parade at Crufts" and because they want to be waited on by women rather than queue for coffee after the service.
Okay, that's an interesting hypothesis. It would annoy me if this was the case, but I'm being realistic. I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there who like to make ludicrous gender stereotypes. What exactly should churches do about this? The charity Christian Vision for Men has some suggestions:
These include redesigning the interiors of church buildings to make men feel more at home. Instead of the usual flowers and statues of the Virgin Mary, they suggest, "How would it go down to decorate with swords, or pictures of knights, or flaming torches?"Because I know all men decorate their abodes with swords and knights and torches. Well, at least the ones into Dungeons & Dragons.
The charity continues: "Maybe it's not 'politically correct', but men quite like the attention of women! They also like to be waited on - so long as they are not made to feel guilty. Instead of having to queue for coffee, why not ask some of the women to go round with trays of coffee and biscuits or chocky bars? Coupled with a charming smile, many men would find that very attractive!"...So let me get this straight. Christianity, which is notorious for its patriarchy and oppression of women, is still not manly enough? We need to go back to the 1950s and have women do their duties of serving men? I'm surprised they didn't suggest the women make them a sandwich while they're at it.
"Jesus, I am so in love with you," or "Beautiful one I love, beautiful one I adore," - many men wouldn't sing that to their wives, let alone another man, the charity advises. ...So not only is it unmanly to love your wife, it's kind of gay to love Jesus, because Satan changed love to include icky homosexuality.
Men don't want to feel brainwashed by reciting words that they don't believe: "The language can be offputting, even the word 'love' has undertones of the love of a man for his woman - they'd rather 'admire' or 'respect' another man. Think how they will respond if called to be Jesus's lover, or to be 'intimate' with him. Don't play into Satan's hands by using language that he has corrupted."
Oh, and the brainwashing part? Yeah, I think that's always been a bit of a problem, girly decor or not. Kind of may explain why so many people are becoming atheists. But apparently women love being "brainwashed by words they don't believe," because we're just mindless coffee-serving baby machines, after all.
Other suggestions to attract more men:
- Don't talk about "Jesus’ love, compassion and grace" because they're "not male concepts." Men are all robots and leave all that silly worrying to the little ladies.
- "Men want to know about his great decision making and leadership," because men have to be the head of the house, you know!
- When holding men's group discussions, pick topics like "pornography," which men obviously love and women have no interest in talking about (lest we offend their fragile sensibilities).
- Play the World Cup during services. Because all men love sports, and much rather watch them in church than in the comfort of their own home or a pub.
- To correct for the previous point, start holding church services in a pub! The only downside to offering free beer is that you'll likely attract a bunch of godless heathens who are just using you.
Though the one flaw in that plan is all the religious women who will have to deal with being transported back in time 60 years. We'll take them too, once they realize they need to escape.